Packard's advertising used to say "Ask a man who owns one". It was a luxury brand of auto. The 1950s weren't kind to Packard with the last car produced in 1956 after merging with Studebaker in 1953. But in the early 1950s, still an impressive auto and in 1951 there were plenty of models to choose from.
I was alive when my grandparents owned this car but have no memory of it. Dean clearly stated it was Grandmother's car. Using photos and slides, I've determined it was a 1951 Packard 200 Deluxe. Packard had 200s, 250s, 300s and Patricians (400). The 200 had a shorter wheelbase. What's tricky about the ID is everything I read says the 200 did not have the cormorant hood ornament yet I do find some online showing that hood ornament. It may have been Grandmother's car but I see Granddad's fingerprints on this. I have confirmed that the "pelican" (what the option guide called it) was an option that year. The "eyelids" on the headlights were not and would have been an aftermarket addition which is likely where Frank came in. I have also read the "Deluxe" had turn indicator lights which can be seen in our family photos.
There may be more images I haven't found but here is what I have to document the car:
Notice the eyelids
The car below has the cormorant hood ornament and "backing lights" (these were an option in 1951).
Paint colors that year...




























No comments:
Post a Comment